• Explore

      Al-Aqsa Mosque

    • Al-Aqsa Mosque is located in the southeast corner of the Old City of Jerusalem, covering one-sixth of its area.

    • Al-Aqsa Mosque, also referred to as Al-Haram Ash-Sharif (the Noble Sanctuary), comprises the entire area within the compound walls (a total area of 144,000 m2) - including all the mosques, prayer rooms, buildings, platforms and open courtyards located above or under the grounds - and exceeds 200 historical monuments pertaining to various Islamic eras

    • Hover your mouse over the monuments and buildings inside Al-Aqsa Mosque to discover what they are.

    ×

    Dome of The Rock

    The Dome of the Rock is the earliest existing model of Islamic architecture, was built over what Muslims believe to be the Rock of Ascension*. It is sitting on top of an octagonal-shaped building with four doors; the building’s dimensions are 20.59 meters in length and 9.5 meters in height.

    Al-Qibly Mosque

    Al-Qibly Mosque is the first physical structure ever built by Muslims on Al-Aqsa compound. When Muslims first entered Jerusalem in 15 AH/638 AC the site was deserted and neglected with no signs of construction on it.

    The Moroccan’s Gate Minaret

    The Mamluk Judge Sharf Ad-Din bin Fakhr Ad-Din Al-Khalili built the Moroccan’s Gate Minaret in 677AH/1278AC next to the Moroccan’s Gate. The 23 meters high minaret is the shortest minaret inside Al-Aqsa Mosque and is standing without any foundations.

    The Gate of the Chain Minaret

    Prince Saif Ad-Din Tankz bin Abdullah An-Nasry built this minaret over Al-Aqsa’s northern corridor in 730 AH/1329 AC next to the Gate of the Chain. The square-shaped minaret can be accessed through Al-Ashrafya School using a staircase made of 80 steps

    The Bani Ghanim Gate Minaret

    The Ayoubi judge Sharaf AdDin bin Abdul Rahman Bin AsSahib built the Bani Ghanim Gate Minaret in 677 AH/1278 AC. It is a square-shaped minaret located near Bani Ghanim’s Gate which is considered the most decorated of Al-Aqsa’s minarets. With a height of 38.5 meters

    The Tribes Gate Minaret

    The Tribes Gate Minaret was first built by the Governor of Jerusalem Saif Ad-Din Qatlo Pasha during the Mamluk Sultan Al-Ashraf Sha’ban reign next to the Tribes Gate. It used to be a square shaped minaret until the Ottomans ordered its reconstruction in 1007 AH/1599 AC

    Dome of the chain

    The Umayyad Caliph Abdul Malik bin Marwan ordered the building of this dome in 72 AH/691 AC. It is located to the east of the Dome of the Rock; although some people believe it was built as a prototype for the Dome of the Rock, yet it is smaller in size and different in shape.

    Sabeel Qaitbay

    Sultan Saif Ad-Din Ennal built this sabeel in 860 AH; however, only a well remained of its original structure. The Mamluk Sultan Qaitbay reconstructed the Sabeel and added the building made of colourful bricks and the marble floors.

    Minber Burhan Ad-Din

    The Supreme Judge Burhan Ad-Din bin Jamaa’ ordered building the marble pulpit in 709 AH/1309 AC to replace a small portable one made of wood.

    Al-Khalili Dome

    Mohammad Bek Hafez, an Ottoman Governor of Jerusalem, ordered the building of this dome in 1112 AH/1700 AC. The dome is located to the northwest of the Dome of the Rock and consists of two rooms

    The Gate of Bani Ghanim

    The Gate is located in the northwest part of Al-Aqsa Mosque and was last renovated in 707AH/1308AC. It is a relatively small gate named after the Old City’s Bani Ghanim Quarter to which it leads.

    The Inspector Gate

    The Inspector’s Gate is located in Al-Aqsa Mosque’s western corridor to the south of Bani Ghanim’s Gate. It was renovated in 600AH/1203AC by King Moathem Sharaf Ad Din. It is a huge gate with a 4.5 meter high entrance.

    The Iron Gate

    The Iron Gate is located in the western corridor of Al-Aqsa Mosque between the Inspector’s Gate and the Cotton Merchants’ Gate; it was last renovated in 755-758 AH/1354-1357 AC. It is also called Aragun’s Gate

    Cotton Merchants’ Gate

    The Mamluk Sultan Mohammad bin Qaloun built the Cotton Merchants’ Gate in 737 AH/1336 AC, in the western part of Al-Aqsa Mosque between the Iron Gate and the Ablution Gate.

    Ablution Gate

        (Al-Matharah)

    This gate is located in the western corridor of Al-Aqsa Mosque near the Cotton Merchants’ Gate which is close to the Dome of the Rock. It is the only gate of Al-Aqsa that does not lead to one of the Old City’s quarters

    The Gate of Chain (As-Silsilah)

    The Gate of the Chain which was built during the Ayoubi era is one of Al-Aqsa Mosque’s main entrances; it is located in the southern part of Al-Aqsa’s western wall.

    The Gate of Chain (As-Silsilah)

    The Gate of the Chain which was built during the Ayoubi era is one of Al-Aqsa Mosque’s main entrances; it is located in the southern part of Al-Aqsa’s western wall.

    The Moroccan Gate (Al-Maghariba)

    The Moroccan Gate is located in Al-Aqsa Mosque’s western wall (Al-Buraq Wall). It was last renovated in 713AH/1313AC. The gate leads to the Moroccan Quarter that was demolished by the Israeli Occupation Forces in 1967

    The Gate of Darkness (Faisal)

    The Gate of Darkness is located in Al-Aqsa’s northern part; it was last renovated in 610 AH/1213 AC by the Ayoubi King Al-Moatham Sharf Ad-Din Issa. The gate is known by a variety of names such as the Gate of Darkness, the Gate of Faisal

    The Gate of Remission (Hittah)

    The Gate of Remission is one of the oldest gates inside Al-Aqsa; it is located in the Mosque’s northern corridor between the Gate of the Tribes and the Gate of Darkness. The accurate year in which the gate was built remains unknown

    The Tribes Gate (Al-Asbat)

    The Fatimid Caliph Ath-Thaher L’Izaz Din Allah ordered building the Triple Gate in 452AH/1034 AC, in the middle of the Southern Wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque. It consists of three entrances that overlook the Umayyad palaces outside

    The Funerals Gate (Al-Janai’z)

    The Funeral’s Gate is one of Al-Aqsa’s hidden gates, located on its eastern wall. Its name stems from the fact that it was used by Muslims restrictedly to carry out funerals to Al-Rahma (Mercy) Graveyard

    The Golden Gate (Al-Rahma)

    The Golden Gate is an ancient historical door carved inside Al-Aqsa’s eastern wall. It consists of two gates, one to the south (Al-Rahma - Mercy) and one to the north (Al-Tawbah - Repentance).

    Dar Al-Hadith

    Dar Al-Hadith Al-Sharif started with a very great activity inside Al-Aqsa Mosque, and it was first established by Sheikh Jamil Hamami in 1981 AD.

    Mihrab Dawud

    It is located in the southern wall of Haram al-Sharif near the south-easter corner.

    The Dome of Ascension

    The Dome of Ascension was built in commemoration of Prophet Mohammad’s (PBUH) ascension to heaven (Al-Mi’raj). It is a small octagonal dome based on 30 marble columns; the open space between the columns was later sealed using marble slabs.

    Al-Khadr’s Dome

    The Prophet’s Dome is an octagonal dome located northwest of the Dome of the Rock. In 945 AH/1538-1539AC, Mohammad Bek, the governor of Gaza and Jerusalem during the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent’s reign, built a niche on this location

    Mohammed Bek Hermitage

    It was built by the commander of al-Quds Brigade, Muhammad Bek, in 974AH /1567AD. The hermitage contains two floors; on the upper floor, there are two rooms, the Eastern is used as a room for the guards of the mosque, and the Western as the office of the imams of Al-Aqsa Mosque

    The Spirits Dome

    This is a small octagonal dome located on the Dome of the Rock’s courtyard. It is based on eight marble columns attached to eight arches carrying the dome’s drum.

    Sha’lan Fountain

    It was built by Muhammad ibn Erwa al-Musali (613 AH / 1216 AD) during the era of King Issa al-Ayyubi. There are three engravings on the sabeel’s frontage, the first -from the left- indicates to the Ayyubid renovation and the middle to the Mamluk renovation, while the right engraving indicates to the Ottoman renovation.

    Busairi Fountain

    It is also called the gate of imprisonment (al-Habs). It is located to the east of The Inspector’s Gate (An-Nadhir). This sabeel was built by Prince Alaa Al-Din Al-Busiri and then renovated by Ibrahim Al-Roumi during the period of the Mamluk Sultan Barbesai.

    Yusuf’s Dome

    The dome was built in 587 AH/1191 AC by the Ayoubi King Saladin; it was renovated in 1092 AH/1681 AC during the Ottoman Era. According to some historians it was named Yusuf Dome in commemoration of Prophet Yusuf (PBUH).

    Grammarian Dome

    King Issa Al-Moatham ordered building this dome’s basic structure in 604 AH/1207 AC and dedicated it to teaching Arabic language and grammar in particular. In 608 AH/1213 AC he added a dome on top of it.

    Qasim Pasha Fountain

    Qasim Pasha Fountain is located on the southwest side of A-lAqsa Mosque close to the Gate of the Chain. Built by Qasem Pasha the Prince of Jerusalem in 933 AH/1527 AC

    Dome of Moses

    This dome is located in the middle of the Moses Platform in the western courtyard of Al-Aqsa Mosque. It was built by the Ayoubi King Najm Ad-Din bin Al-Malk Al-Kamel in 647 AH/1249-1250 AC

    Fountain of Magharibah Gate

    It is located to the east of The Moroccan Gate (al-Maghariba Gate) and to the north of al-Maghariba Mosque (The Islamic Museum). It was built at the beginning of the Ottoman era in 987 AH / 1579 AD but it is out of service now.

    Dome of Yusuf Agha

    Yusuf Agha, an Ottoman governor of Jerusalem, built this dome to the west of Al-Qibly Mosque in 1092 AH/1681 AC. It is a square-shaped building topped with a small dome.

    Suleiman’s Dome

    This dome is located in the northern part of Al-Aqsa Mosque to the southwest of the Gate of Darkness. It is believed that it was first built during the Umayyad era.

    The Lovers of the Prophet Dome

    The Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II wanted to leave a landmark that commemorates him inside Al-Aqsa Mosque, thus he built this dome in the northern part of the mosque next to the Gate of Darkness in 1223 AH/808 AC.

    Al-Kaas Fountain

    Al-Ka’as is an ablution that was built by the Ayoubi Sultan Al-Adel Abu Bakr bin Ayoub in 589 AH/1193 AC. It is a circular basin with a fountain in the middle which is surrounded by an ornamented iron fence encircled by stone stools.

    The Ancient Aqsa

    The Ancient Aqsa is located underneath the central nave of Al Qibly Mosque; it is a linear building that extends from north to south. It can be accessed by using an old staircase sitting in front of Al-Qibly Mosque’s exterior corridor which is made of 18 steps

    Al-Musalla

          Al-Marwani

    The Eastern Basement is a subterranean massive hall located in the southeastern corner of Al-Aqsa Mosque. Originally a very steep hill, this area was raised through various structures

    The Eastern Arched Gate

    The accurate year or era in which this gate was constructed remains unknown. Some historians claim it was built during the Abbasid era, while others say it was built during the Fatimid era.

    The North-western Arched Gate

    The North-western Arched Gate was built by the Mamluk King Al-Ashraf Sha’ban in 778 AH/1386 AC, and was renovated in 926AH/1519 AC by the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent.

    The North Arched Gate

    The North Arched Gate, 4 meters hight, was built during the Mamluk era in 721 AH/1321 AC.

    The North-eastern Arched Gate

    Sultan Mohammad bin Qalawun has built this gate in 726 AH/1325 AC. It consists of two stone trusses that have two thin stone columns between them which are topped with arches.

    The Western Arched Gate

    The Western Arched Gate was built in 320 AH; however, its founder remains unknown. It consists of two stone pillars that have three marble columns between them which are topped with a number of arches.

    The Moroccan Mosque

    This ancient mosque is located in the southwestern part of Al-Aqsa compound next to the Moroccan Gate (Western Wall). It was built during the 12th or 13th Century AC and pertains to the Ayoubi era

    The Women’s Mosque

    The Women’s Mosque was originally built and used by the Crusaders as a dining room for the Knights Templar; however, when Saladin liberated Jerusalem he turned the building into a mosque for women.

    The Southern Arched Gate

    This arched gate was first built during the Abbasid Era and renovated twice after that: once during the Fatimid Era and once by the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II in 1311/1893 AC.

    Al-Buraq Wall

    Al-Buraq Wall represents the southwestern section of Al-Aqsa Mosque’s wall, some 50 meters in length and approximately 20 meters in height. It is part of Al-Aqsa Mosque and considered an Islamic property.